Conversion of a Leyland Octopus Shell Tanker to a Pullmore Car Transporter. A tanker without a tank and a Transporter without a cab makes for an interesting combination. Cutting very little from the transporter section and few bits of the Leyland Chassis proved an ideal combination.
Sometimes you have to decide if the model requires a repair or complete renovation. If the model is not rare but the paintwork is three quarters good, maybe it should just be cleaned. This one had not bad paint, fair decals, but a rusty chassis. So I decided to repair just the chassis. Removal is the regular procedure and the bonus is that there is just one rivet. The chassis was rusty and twisted. An overnight soak in vinegar and a brush with comet cleaned things up very well. Light use of a soft hammer and some twisting got the chassis in fair shape. I could have removed the axles but I wanted to keep the model as original as possible. Mask the wheels and two coats of gloss black finished this project. The body was given a good clean and made it quite presentable.
Undergoing Restoration The chassis was buckled and one of the blue plastic wheels was cracked and all loose on the axles and no steering wheel. A full strip down was done, removing the hubs and axles. Paint stripped and chassis straightened photography picks out blemishes too well but we will see after paint is applied.
Restoration in progress. Very tatty model with broken front bumper-grill unit. Strip down was fairly straight forward with the exception of the front grille unit. It is held in place by a course threaded pin, see photograph, just twist it out. I decided to refinish it in deep red, only requires the detail work to complete.
Badly corroded but solid model, with bends to the wagon sides and fenders and axles and the usual broken headlamps. Full strip down and repair, new axles and front grille and the model looks like new.
Restored to original colors. The 40f number is appropriate as the chassis - base plate has ridges along the length. The 154 has a plain base. No problems with this restore. The color referred to as butterscotch varies on the actual models. The color chosen off the shelf is burnt orange and is towards the darker end of the scale. They were supplied in packs of 6 and later in numbered boxes, some 40f, some dual numbered, some 154. I chose the dual numbered box for this restoration.
A mammoth project as this is the first of this size and a model in such a poor state. Some damage to the bodywork, window shell broken and missing bits, no rear ramp, full of dirt, no vice in the workshop, and a bad paint job. So a good clean up and all paint was stripped finishing with caustic soda and a fine wire brush on my drill. A good primer and two top coats before trial assembly. A final coat or two will be added as necessary. The front steering was removed by drilling out the rivet head, all components will be cleaned and lubricated before reassembly. The axle plate will be held in with screws should it ever be necessary to rebuild this model again. The Chassis was reassembled after cleaning and polishing all the parts. The front springs were re-tensioned before assembly and the rear springs were carefully rotated 180 degrees. A little WD40 to lubricate and all set to go. The broken windscreen and badly stained plastic interior will be tackled next. Ecurie Ecosse History (Team Scotland) This model was produced 1961-1965 and was dark metallic blue with yellow or light blue lettering and a yellow interior. It was also painted light metallic blue with red, yellow, or dark blue lettering with yellow or red interior. It also came as a gift set with three racing cars, BRM, Lotus and Vanwall. The original vehicle was blue with yellow lettering and silver detail on each side, more famously know for transporting the D Type Jaguar. A longer term project so keep posted....
Over-painted but solid with one bent axle. Simple strip down and paint but the rear riveting pillars are a bit thin so drill carefully. This is a 40d as there is no DEVON printed under the roof and the printing on the base is small. Restored to near original colors.
This model was badly over painted and windscreen frame bent. Once the paint had been stripped there was some chipping to the bodywork and casting marks. However the rest was quite sound and worthy of a restoration. The original colors were light blue, red trim and cream hubs. The one thing that I found interesting was the dashboard that was quite detailed and resembled the original model very well. My shaky hands show quite well on the detail work but a satisfactory result. PS Base plate to be finished with clear coat
Restoring a previously restored model. I do not normally buy restored models but this came as part of a bundle and was in need of a proper restore. Strip down and prime followed the standard procedure, but after priming there were noticeable pits in the roof and other areas. So strip down again and fill, rub down and spray. It was worth the effort. Final images to be added ....
Very poor paint-wise but otherwise solid. I decided to pair this with the Caravan 190 and go code 3. The caravan was in similar condition, they both came from the same source. Strip down followed the standard procedure except the rear rivet for the caravan is quite shallow and required reinforcement to reassemble. The windows from the Humber required a rubdown with 400 grit wet and dry followed by 1000 grit and then a polish. Paint is not standard but looks good I hope you agree.
Array ( [DSC_0628] => DSC_0628.jpg [DSC_0629] => DSC_0629.jpg  => 3.jpg  => 4.jpg  => 5.jpg  => 6.jpg  => 7.jpg  => 8.jpg  => 9.jpg )